BDiH
Gordon Fickling - Printable Version

+- BDiH (http://forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com)
+-- Forum: The Black Dahlia (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Elizabeth in California (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Gordon Fickling (/showthread.php?tid=688)

Gordon Fickling - Wendell - 08-26-2010 07:59 PM

Joseph Gordon Fickling, one of the men closest to Beth Short, was a war hero and was highly regarded by his peers and friends. He flew B-24s to China and retired as Lieutenant Colonel Fickling. His friends called him Joe or "Fick." After the war, when he worked for the airlines, Joe was stationed in Norfolk, Virgina and later in Atlanta, Georgia. He died at 85 in 2000. Fickling was married and had a stepdaughter and an adopted daughter.

RE: Gordon Fickling - Chigurh - 08-29-2010 01:39 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

Gordon Fickling seems to be one of the good guys in this story. He returned to Charlotte, NC after the war and began his civilian career. He continued to correspond with ES, even sending her a hundred dollars in December, 1946, but keeping her at bay, since he was establishing a new life for himself. After their fling in Southern California, Fickling wrote to ES, "I get awfully lonesome sometimes and and wonder if we really haven't been very childish and foolish about the whole affair. Have we?"

RE: Gordon Fickling - alecker231 - 08-29-2010 07:44 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts. (08-26-2010 07:59 PM)GusTopley Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Joseph Gordon Fickling, one of the men closest to Beth Short, was a war hero and was highly regarded by his peers and friends. He flew B-24s to China and retired as Lieutenant Colonel Fickling. His friends called him Joe or "Fick." After the war, when he worked for the airlines, Joe was stationed in Norfolk, Virgina and later in Atlanta, Georgia. He died at 85 in 2000. Fickling was married and had a stepdaughter and an adopted daughter.
Gordon Fickling seems to be one of the good guys in this story. He returned to Charlotte, NC after the war and began his civilian career. He continued to correspond with ES, even sending her a hundred dollars in December, 1946, but keeping her at bay, since he was establishing a new life for himself. After their fling in Southern California, Fickling wrote to ES, "I get awfully lonesome sometimes and and wonder if we really haven't been very childish and foolish about the whole affair. Have we?"
Hi,

What your opinion concerning Manley?It is a ''good guy''victim of bad context or only a poor sick man?Guests cannot see images in posts.

RE: Gordon Fickling - Danny - 09-22-2010 12:24 AM

Ok my bad on Fickling being the guy next to Beth on the beach. I just read over the front page again for the first time in forever and it says that guy's name was "Eddie" It does quote some of Gordon's letters and it sounds like he had it bad for Beth but may have cut her off because she dated and kissed other guys. I'm guessing the money was sent to pay for the collect call she made to Gordon from Hansen's house. I wonder who "Eddie" is?

RE: Gordon Fickling - Danny - 09-22-2010 12:29 AM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts. (08-29-2010 01:39 PM)Chigurh Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

Hi,

What your opinion concerning Manley?It is a ''good guy''victim of bad context or only a poor sick man?Guests cannot see images in posts.
At this point I'm going to say Manley was a good guy even if he was crazy for a variety of different reasons. Wanting to cheat on his super hot wife for one.