BDiH
Gordon Fickling - Printable Version

+- BDiH (http://forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com)
+-- Forum: The Black Dahlia (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Elizabeth in California (/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Gordon Fickling (/showthread.php?tid=688)

Gordon Fickling - Wendell - 08-26-2010 07:59 PM

Joseph Gordon Fickling, one of the men closest to Beth Short, was a war hero and was highly regarded by his peers and friends. He flew B-24s to China and retired as Lieutenant Colonel Fickling. His friends called him Joe or "Fick." After the war, when he worked for the airlines, Joe was stationed in Norfolk, Virgina and later in Atlanta, Georgia. He died at 85 in 2000. Fickling was married and had a stepdaughter and an adopted daughter.

RE: Gordon Fickling - Chigurh - 08-29-2010 01:39 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

Gordon Fickling seems to be one of the good guys in this story. He returned to Charlotte, NC after the war and began his civilian career. He continued to correspond with ES, even sending her a hundred dollars in December, 1946, but keeping her at bay, since he was establishing a new life for himself. After their fling in Southern California, Fickling wrote to ES, "I get awfully lonesome sometimes and and wonder if we really haven't been very childish and foolish about the whole affair. Have we?"

RE: Gordon Fickling - alecker231 - 08-29-2010 07:44 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts. (08-26-2010 07:59 PM)GusTopley Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Joseph Gordon Fickling, one of the men closest to Beth Short, was a war hero and was highly regarded by his peers and friends. He flew B-24s to China and retired as Lieutenant Colonel Fickling. His friends called him Joe or "Fick." After the war, when he worked for the airlines, Joe was stationed in Norfolk, Virgina and later in Atlanta, Georgia. He died at 85 in 2000. Fickling was married and had a stepdaughter and an adopted daughter.
Gordon Fickling seems to be one of the good guys in this story. He returned to Charlotte, NC after the war and began his civilian career. He continued to correspond with ES, even sending her a hundred dollars in December, 1946, but keeping her at bay, since he was establishing a new life for himself. After their fling in Southern California, Fickling wrote to ES, "I get awfully lonesome sometimes and and wonder if we really haven't been very childish and foolish about the whole affair. Have we?"
Hi,

What your opinion concerning Manley?It is a ''good guy''victim of bad context or only a poor sick man?Guests cannot see images in posts.

RE: Gordon Fickling - Danny - 09-22-2010 12:24 AM

Ok my bad on Fickling being the guy next to Beth on the beach. I just read over the front page again for the first time in forever and it says that guy's name was "Eddie" It does quote some of Gordon's letters and it sounds like he had it bad for Beth but may have cut her off because she dated and kissed other guys. I'm guessing the money was sent to pay for the collect call she made to Gordon from Hansen's house. I wonder who "Eddie" is?

RE: Gordon Fickling - Danny - 09-22-2010 12:29 AM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts. (08-29-2010 01:39 PM)Chigurh Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

Hi,

What your opinion concerning Manley?It is a ''good guy''victim of bad context or only a poor sick man?Guests cannot see images in posts.
At this point I'm going to say Manley was a good guy even if he was crazy for a variety of different reasons. Wanting to cheat on his super hot wife for one.

RE: Gordon Fickling - torqueomarone - 05-16-2014 08:58 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

One newspaper account said that Beth and Fickling used to frequent the Long Beach drugstore together, and that "the druggist told police sometimes she turned her affection to a 'short sailor.' This fickleness plainly angered the officer, police were told and may have led to a breakup in the girl's reported plans to marry him."

RE: Gordon Fickling - JoeyEvans - 06-14-2014 11:02 PM

Gordon Fickling seemed to be confused about Beth Short. He is really the only serious boyfriend that she had, that we know about. Still, he bowed out of the relationship for reasons unknown. Beth did seem to care for him when she wrote,

"I'll never regret coming west to see you. You didn't take me in your arms and keep me there. You had a great deal on your mind and I was just an extra burden."

RE: Gordon Fickling - BostonRob - 06-15-2014 02:28 PM

I remember there was another flyer (I think) in the Pacific Theater that Beth became fixated on after a date or two. She wrote to him after he left the States apparently in a seriously romantic way and maybe suggesting marriage. His reply was something like, "I really think that for there to be a good chance of success one really ought to be in love." Ouch! Apparently, he never wrote her again. Maybe Fickling was one of the few guys who knew Beth long enough to realize how quickly and easily she became emotionally involved and he just didn't trust her feelings. How many dates did she have with Matt Gordon before she decided that he "was not like other men?"

RE: Gordon Fickling - Danny - 06-15-2014 09:40 PM

I think that was Stephen Wolak. It might have been Paul Rosie but I think it was Wolak who stated something along those lines. He's the flier whom Chigurh has stated bared a similar physical resemblance to Dillon. I sometimes wonder if Wolak is the blonde "beach bum" with Beth and "Eddie" on the beach in Florida.

RE: Gordon Fickling - BostonRob - 06-15-2014 09:55 PM

There is a list of names available of those in the Army Air Force that had incidents or accidents. Joseph Gordon Fickling is listed in 1945. I wonder what that was about? It might be possible to find out. Would take some work though.
The wings for sale on E-bay look like they might be the real deal. Would help to know Fickling's serial #, however.