Current time: 08-20-2014, 11:29 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Unfortunately, we seem to be losing members, not attracting new ones.

Poll: Do you think it's possible the murder of WAC Corp. Maoma Ridings was connected to the Black Dahlia case?
Yes, I think they're connected.
No way in hell.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
1943 WAC Murder Connection?
04-17-2009, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2009 04:03 AM by Noir Falcon.)
1943 WAC Murder Connection?
Parts of this message have been hidden. Please login or register to unhide them.

Not sure if many of you are familiar with it, but a WAC Corporal named Maoma Ridings was killed in an Indianapolis hotel room in August 1943. Plenty of folks have speculated that Beth Short's murderer may have been involved in the Suzanne Degnan slaying and the Lipstick Murder in Chicago. Still others have brought up the infamous Cleveland Butcher (the Torso Murders). I'm curious what people think about the '43 WAC murder in Indianapolis...

Newspaper clipping attached as a PDF FYI.
Guests cannot see attachments: 1 attachment(s) hidden

"I'll take the big sordid dirty crooked city."
-Phillip Marlowe, P.I. (1953)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
RE: 1943 WAC Murder Connection?
Parts of this message have been hidden. Please login or register to unhide them.

Sounds interesting, but I was unable to open your attachment. Maybe it's just me?
04-20-2009, 05:52 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

It works fine here in Adobe Reader. I'll convert to a JPEG and attach it here for easier viewing.

04-29-2009, 05:43 AM

I found the following site with the case in which they refer to a bellboy seeing a woman in black lying on the bed which is interesting. Has it ever come out that they found the second woman? Guests cannot see links in posts.

packy, proud to be a member of The Black Dahlia in Hollywood Forum since Apr 2009.
04-29-2009, 06:38 AM

That's a very informative little page on the two murders that occurred in the Claypool Hotel. Thanks, packy! They never did find the "lady in black" to the best of my knowledge, but police did speculate it could have been a female impersonator... Guests cannot see images in posts. I can post the article containing that tidbit.

04-29-2009, 11:12 AM

Please do post it, Noir_Falcon, I love these old news clippings.

Packy, that article was a great find. I think if I'm ever in Indianapolis I'll avoid the Claypool Hotel... or at least not sleep in rooms 665 or 729. Guests cannot see images in posts. I'm glad they caught little Dorothy Poole's murderer. I hope he died in prison.

Phoebe
04-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Comin' up, an article from the Binghamton Press, 8/31/43. Here ya go... Guests cannot see images in posts. I hope to include the case in Dirty Deeds, so won't comment too much yet.

05-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Very interesting! I wonder if that detective followed up his speculations and found anything Guests cannot see images in posts. And I wonder about the WAC uniform skirt that was found not far from the hotel - did the murderer wear it for his escape because he had blood on his, or maybe it was just a souvenier.

For some reason I'm suspicious of that bellboy who was the only one to see the "woman in black" (probably completely unfairly Guests cannot see images in posts. ) but a random thought just popped into my head - do we know where Leslie Dillon was working as a bellboy in 1943?

Phoebe
05-24-2009, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2009 10:30 AM by packy.)

Guests cannot see quotes in posts. (04-29-2009 06:28 PM)Noir Falcon Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Comin' up, an article from the Binghamton Press, 8/31/43. Here ya go... Guests cannot see images in posts. I hope to include the case in Dirty Deeds, so won't comment too much yet.
Very interesting! I wonder if that detective followed up his speculations and found anything Guests cannot see images in posts. And I wonder about the WAC uniform skirt that was found not far from the hotel - did the murderer wear it for his escape because he had blood on his, or maybe it was just a souvenier.

For some reason I'm suspicious of that bellboy who was the only one to see the "woman in black" (probably completely unfairly Guests cannot see images in posts. ) but a random thought just popped into my head - do we know where Leslie Dillon was working as a bellboy in 1943?

Phoebe
Interesting question.
I thought only one bellhop said he saw a woman in black but the article here says two bellhops saw her. Hmmm

Guests cannot see links in posts.

packy, proud to be a member of The Black Dahlia in Hollywood Forum since Apr 2009.
05-25-2009, 05:50 PM

(05-24-2009 10:25 AM)packy Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Interesting question.
I thought only one bellhop said he saw a woman in black but the article here says two bellhops saw her. Hmmm

If two saw she/he (if one follows the female impersonator theory), then perhaps this mysterious person was really in the room with Maoma Ridings... It's a fascinating unsolved case with plenty of false leads and a Confessing Sam or two. Guests cannot see images in posts. At one point there was even a mystery involving some bloodstained clothes taken to a laundry, left by a woman under the name of L.A. Wilson. Nope, not Jack Anderson Wilson. It isn't that open and shut. The clothes were found to belong to one Lucien A. Wilson, dropped at the laundry by his wife. The Ridings case is a big tangent in Dirty Deeds in L.A..