Current time: 07-22-2014, 12:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
We are starting a new feature, The Position Statement, a thread dedicated to your formal declaration of where you stand on the story of Elizabeth Short and the investigation into her murder. Please check out the notes in the thread and poar your statement in 300 words of less.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dr. George Hodel
09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Dr. George Hodel
Parts of this message have been hidden. Please login or register to unhide them.

Guests cannot see links in posts.

Dr. George Hodel

In October 1949, his 14-year-old daughter Tamar ran away from home and made sex abuse charges against Hodel and 19 other people, many of them Hollywood High School students. She further accused a Beverly Hills doctor, Francis Ballard, a 1941 graduate of Stanford Medical School, of performing an abortion on her in September 1949. An office handyman, Charles Smith, and Joseph Barrett, a tenant at the Hodel home, 5121 Franklin Ave. (note: News reports use the address 5121 Franklin, while the Hodel transcripts show he gave out the address 5123 Franklin), were also accused.

Under questioning from his attorney, Hodel said that he was under medication at the time of the alleged incident, having suffered a heart attack two weeks before.

Later on, the girl's mother was asked if she would believe the girl under oath. She shook her head, indicating no. "She added that the girl for many years had made charges that men have molested her and made improper advances and that in all these cases her statements were proven false," according to The Times.

The jury was sequestered on Dec. 22 and Hodel was acquitted the next day. In 1950, onetime prosecution witness Barbara Sherman, who recanted her testimony supporting the molestation charges, pleaded guilty to contributing to the delinquency of a minor and was sentenced to three years' probation. She was ordered to refrain from any contact with Hodel or his friends.

Born October 10, 1907, George Hill Hodel became a child prodigy pianist who played for Rachmaninoff and royalty in Paris salons. He later became a gifted surgeon and psychiatrist (reportedly with an IQ higher than Einstein’s) and resided in a house in Hollywood built by Frank Lloyd Wright, Jr. During this time George became close friends with celebrities and politicians of the day (notably John Huston as well as surrealist artist Man Ray), often hosting parties infamous for their debauchery. George Hodel was arrested in 1949 for allegedly raping his daughter Tamar during one of these parties. The tabloids covered the trial with a fervor and George was acquitted. The lawyers, press and the Hodel family painted Tamar as a troubled girl who had fantasies. She became “Tamar the liar.” Soon afterward, George left L.A. for the Philippines, where he married a wealthy agriculturalist (and later Congresswoman) Hortensia Laguda. He never returned to the United States until shortly before his death in May, 1999.

Dr. George Hill Hodel
Suspect of Steve Hodel
Investigated by 1949 Grand Jury

Suspect's age at time of murder: 39

Occupation: Physician; medical director and chief of staff for his First Street Medical Clinic, a venereal disease clinic.

Whereabouts at time of murder: Hollywood, California

Physical and mental condition: 6 feet, 168 pounds; suffered a major heart attack in September 1946; hospitalized for over a month

History of violence: Used razor strap to punish children.

Stress factors at time of murder: Recently returned from China afer resigning from his post with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA); attempting to reconcile with his wife

Link to the victim: Mistakenly linked by photos that were not of Elizabeth Short. Former girlfriend and patient at Camarillo State Mental Hospital was informant naming George Hodel to Grand Jury investigators.

Link to the signature and MO of perpetrator: Medical knowledge

Link to the South Norton Avenue site: Unknown

Behavior after the murder: Arrested October 1949 for incest; acquitted December 1949. Left the United States in 1950 and stayed away for 40 years.

George Hodel was a prime suspect in the notorious Black Dahlia murder. (According to Black Dahlia Avenger, Hodel was the killer, and the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office conducted extensive surveillance of him. There were numerous arrests, but no one was ever charged with the murder.) A striking, graphic array of evidence in the two books strongly suggests that it was Hodel who, on January 15, 1947, killed actress Elizabeth Short, then surgically cut her in two and transported the halved, nude, exsanguinated corpse—the internal organs kept painstakingly intact—to a vacant lot, where he laid the pieces out as if in imitation of certain Surrealist artworks by Man Ray.

The transcripts of overheard conversations include a statement in Hodel's voice saying: "Supposin' I did kill the Black Dahlia. They couldn't prove it now. They can't talk to my secretary anymore because she's dead."

DR. GEORGE HILL HODEL DNA PROFILE OBTAINED BY TOP-RANKED FORENSIC LAB

New DNA Evidence Potentially Opens Door to Solving of 1940s & 1960s Serial Killings

For the past two-years, Bode Laboratories in Lorton, VA, has been working on analyzing various personal effects known to have been owned by Dr. Hodel in an effort to isolate and obtain his full DNA.

In the Hodel investigation, success came on the very last evidentiary item to be tested. An envelope, mailed by my father to me from the Philippines in 1971, proved positive.

With the recent obtaining of Dr. George Hill Hodel's DNA, along with the newly develop technique of "Touch DNA", which provides a process where the suspect's skin cells can be collected off of a victims clothing, or even from a ligature used to tie or strangle the victim, the prospect of solving many of these additional LAPD and LASD murders becomes a very real possibility.

In February and March, 1950, a task-force of eighteen detectives conducted five-weeks of 24-hour electronic surveillance of Dr. Hodel's private Frank Lloyd Wright Jr. built residence in Hollywood and obtained secret tape-recorded statements from him admitting to the murder of Elizabeth Short, and to also killing his personal secretary, Ruth Spaulding in 1945, just eighteen months prior to the Dahlia murder. [LAPD confirmed George Hodel was suspected of foul play in the1945, "suicide/overdose" of his clinic secretary/lover. The Ruth Spaulding LAPD active criminal investigation was halted in late 1945 due to Dr. Hodel joining UNRRA and absenting himself from Los Angeles. In Feb'46 he was sent from Washington D.C. to doctor in Hankow, China for eight-months.]

D.A/LAPD Franklin House electronic surveillance [live microphones concealed inside the walls] lasted nearly six-weeks from Feb 15-March 27, 1950 and was terminated only because George Hodel again left the country.
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
RE: Dr. George Hodel
Parts of this message have been hidden. Please login or register to unhide them.

The "bugs" in the house caught Hodel "admitting that he killed the Black Dahlia." That's news to me. I've never heard that before. Case closed, I guess.

BostonRob, Valued member of BDiH since Jun 2012.
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2012, 08:18 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

You are funny!!!!!! Are you OK??? Do you Need HELP!!!!. This was reported in 1949 Trial, he was aquitted because Maddi Comfort who claimed he was with her. HELLO are there?
09-12-2012, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 01:52 PM by BostonRob.)

Guests cannot see quotes in posts. (09-11-2012 08:04 PM)BostonRob Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.The "bugs" in the house caught Hodel "admitting that he killed the Black Dahlia." That's news to me. I've never heard that before. Case closed, I guess.
You are funny!!!!!! Are you OK??? Do you Need HELP!!!!. This was reported in 1949 Trial, he was aquitted because Maddi Comfort who claimed he was with her. HELLO are there?
I've just reported this post to the moderators. Personal abuse is not necessary on this board.

BostonRob, Valued member of BDiH since Jun 2012.
09-12-2012, 02:59 PM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts. (09-11-2012 08:18 PM)caprice2010 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

I've just reported this post to the moderators. Personal abuse is not necessary on this board.

I have not abused you at all.I asked if you Need Help, in what way is this abusive? I am stating fact this was in 1949 trial.
09-12-2012, 03:07 PM

George Hodel

Dr. George Hodel came under police scrutiny in October 1949, when his 14-year-old daughter, Tamar, accused him of molesting her. Three witnesses testified at his trial that they were present in the room and saw him having sex with Tamar. Another witness, who had previously admitted that she had participated in sex acts with Tamar, recanted and refused to testify. Hodel was acquitted of the charges in December 1949.[12] The molestation case led the LAPD to include Hodel, a physician specializing in public health and sexually transmitted diseases, among its many suspects in the Dahlia case. Authorities put Hodel under surveillance from February 18 to March 27, 1950, including the installation of two microphones in his home, monitored by over 18 detectives, to ascertain whether he could be implicated in the murder. In the surviving transcripts, Dr. Hodel is heard making highly incriminating statements.
"Supposin' I did kill the Black Dahlia. They couldn't prove it now. They can't talk to my secretary anymore because she's dead.... They thought there was something fishy. Anyway, now they may have figured it out. Killed her. Maybe I did kill my secretary...." - George Hodel.

February 18, 1950

Ruth Spaulding died from an overdose and Hodel was investigated by the LAPD in 1945 for her suspected murder. He was present when Spaulding died and had burnt some of her papers before police were called. The case was dropped owing to lack of evidence, but documents were later found that indicated Spaulding may have been about to make public that Hodel was intentionally misdiagnosing patients and billing them for laboratory tests, medical treatment, and prescriptions not needed. Hodel's son, former LAPD homicide detective Steve Hodel, believes Elizabeth Short may have been one of his father's patients.
In the final report to the grand jury, dated February 20, 1951, Lt. Frank Jemison of the Los Angeles County district attorney's office wrote:
Doctor George Hodel, M.D. 5121 Fountain [Franklin] Avenue, at the time of this murder had a clinic at East First Street near Alameda. Lillian DeNorak [Lenorak] who lived with this doctor said he spent some time around the Biltmore Hotel and identified the photo of victim Short as a photo of one of the doctor's girl friends. Tamar Hodel, fifteen year old daughter, stated that her mother, Dorothy Hodel, has told her that her father had been out all night on a party the night of the murder and said, "They’ll never be able to prove I did that murder." Two microphones were placed in this suspect's home (see the log and recordings made over approximately three weeks time which tend to prove his innocence.[13] See statement of Dorothy Hodel,[14] former wife). Informant Lillian DeNorak [Lenorak] has been committed to the State Mental Institution at Camarillo. Joe Barrett, a roomer at the Hodel residence cooperated as an informant. A photograph of the suspect in the nude with a nude identified colored model was secured from his personal effects. Undersigned identified this model as Mattie Comfort, 3423½ South Arlington, Republic 4953. She said that she was with Doctor Hodel sometime prior to the murder and that she knew nothing about his being associated with the victim. Rudolph Walthers, known to have been acquainted with victim and also with suspect Hodel, claimed he had not seen victim in the presence of Hodel and did not believe that the doctor had ever met the victim. The following acquaintances of Hodel were questioned and none were able to connect the suspect with murder: Fred Sexton, 1020 White Knoll Drive; Nita Moladero, 1617½ North Normandy [Normandie]; Ellen Taylor 5121 Fountain Avenue; Finlay Thomas, 616½ South Normandy [Normandie]; Mildred B. Colby, 4029 Vista Del Monte Street, Sherman Oaks, this witness was a girlfriend of Charles Smith, abortionist friend of Hodel, Turin Gilkey, 1025 North Wilcox; Irene Summerset, 1236¼ North Edgemont; Norman Beckett, 1025 North Wilcox; Ethel Kane, 1033 North Wilcox; Annette Chase, 1039 North Wilcox; Dorothy Royer, 1636 North Beverly Glenn. See supplemental reports, long sheets and hear recordings, all of which tend to eliminate this suspect.
The report, from which the above excerpt was taken, was submitted at the completion of the D.A.'s investigation of George Hodel and at least 21 other suspects.

In 2003 George Hodel's son, former LAPD homicide detective Steve Hodel, published a book claiming his father, who died in 1991, had in fact committed the Black Dahlia murder as well as a host of unsolved murders over the better part of two decades. Steve Hodel says he came up with the idea when he saw two pictures in his dead father's photo album that he claims resemble Short, although Short's family insists they are not of her and many other observers have failed to see the resemblance. Since beginning his investigation, Steve has located and identified one of the photographic subjects as a former friend of George Hodel. The other photograph remains unidentified.[2] Steve Hodel claims he was unaware at the time that his father had been a suspect in the case, although his sister Tamar was friends with Janice Knowlton, author of her own book, Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer, and case documents make it clear that Steve's parents and many of their associates knew the senior Hodel was a suspect. After reviewing the information presented in Steve Hodel's book, Head Deputy D.A. Stephen Kay proclaimed the case solved, but others have noted that Kay, who has since retired, formed this conclusion by treating Steve Hodel's many disputed assertions as established fact. Detective Brian Carr, the LAPD officer in charge of the Black Dahlia case at the time of Steve Hodel's briefing, said in a televised interview that he was baffled by Kay's response, adding that if he ever took a case as weak as Steve Hodel's to a prosecutor he would be "laughed out of the office." In a September 2006 television interview with Cold Case Files host Bill Kurtis, Carr added, "I don't have the time to either prove or disprove Hodel's investigation. I am too busy working on active cases." In his most recent book, Steve Hodel has also claimed that George Hodel was responsible for numerous other high profile murders, including the Zodiac Killer.
09-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Caprice, you are being incredibly rude to posters.
09-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Guests cannot see quotes in posts.

When??? Asking if they need help