Current time: 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mickey Cohen and William H. Parker in L.A. Times Mag
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Mickey Cohen and William H. Parker in L.A. Times Mag
Parts of this message have been hidden. Please login or register to unhide them.

An interesting article was recently run in the L.A. Times Magazine about Mickey Cohen and William H. Parker. Old news to some, but still worthy of mentioning.

Check it out at Guests cannot see links in posts.

Cheers,

Noir

"I'll take the big sordid dirty crooked city."
-Phillip Marlowe, P.I. (1953)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
RE: Mickey Cohen and William H. Parker in L.A. Times Mag
Parts of this message have been hidden. Please login or register to unhide them.

(04-13-2010 06:25 PM)Noir Falcon Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.An interesting article was recently run in the L.A. Times Magazine about Mickey Cohen and William H. Parker. Old news to some, but still worthy of mentioning.

Check it out at Guests cannot see links in posts.

Cheers,

Noir
John Buntin's book, L.A. Noir, from which this article draws, is a well written disclosure of the Parker/Cohen era.

I need you to step out of the car, sir.
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanks for posting the link. It was very interesting to read. I wonder who Mark Hansen paid for protection of his businesses? I'm sure he didn't get a free ride from the underworld or crooked cops. It makes one wonder if Beth's death was due to her association with Hansen and who he may have crossed.

Its also strange that the Police broke into Cohen's house and stole his address books. Probably for intelligence purposes or maybe to blackmail his associates. Such a shady era for LAPD.
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM

Great article on a topic of particular interest to me. As always, a bang up job Noir. Thank you.

I'll have more after I digest it a bit.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
~~~Frank Zappa
04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
RE: Mickey Cohen...

Interesting article, thanks Noir_Falcon. I remember reading the reviews of L.A. Noir, Chigurh - I need to get my hands on a copy.
Guests cannot see images in posts. Michael's Exclusive Haberdashery on Sunset Strip, Los Angeles, California, 1949. The store front served as a headquarters for gangster Mickey Cohen.
Source: Life Magazine
04-15-2010, 09:30 AM

My local library has a copy of L.A. Noir. I'm going to try to check it out this weekend.
08-01-2010, 10:48 AM

(04-14-2010 10:40 AM)ravenman71 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Thanks for posting the link. It was very interesting to read. I wonder who Mark Hansen paid for protection of his businesses? I'm sure he didn't get a free ride from the underworld or crooked cops. It makes one wonder if Beth's death was due to her association with Hansen and who he may have crossed.

Its also strange that the Police broke into Cohen's house and stole his address books. Probably for intelligence purposes or maybe to blackmail his associates. Such a shady era for LAPD.

Most likely he would pay to Jack Dragna... who went on turf war with Mickey Cohen. I'm gathering some info on gangs and such but it will take forever as it seems.

Whisper, proud to be a member of The Black Dahlia in Hollywood Forum since Jul 2010.
08-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Gangsters

I'm interested in all the reasons the LAPD Gangster Squad became involved in the Black Dahlia investigation, by order of LAPD Chief Horrall & Dep. Chief Reed.

Perhaps we should also be looking more closely at 1946 killings in light of this quote by Detective Jemison:
Guests cannot see quotes in posts.
Guests cannot see links in posts.

Enigmatic, this might interest you - book & film that discuss the gangster connections in the 40's that led to Bugsy Siegel's murder:

Whisper, here's an L.A Times series on gang activity in the 40s & 50s:
08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

(04-14-2010 10:08 PM)Phoebe_Caulfield Wrote: Guests cannot see links in posts.Interesting article, thanks Noir_Falcon. I remember reading the reviews of L.A. Noir, Chigurh - I need to get my hands on a copy.
Guests cannot see images in posts. Michael's Exclusive Haberdashery on Sunset Strip, Los Angeles, California, 1949. The store front served as a headquarters for gangster Mickey Cohen.
Source: Life Magazine

Good old Mickey
Guests cannot see attachments: 1 attachment(s) hidden

I need you to step out of the car, sir.
08-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Phoebe, that is a fascinating quote (Jemison asking Red if Beth had talked to him about murders in newspapers). I had never seen it before. It does make one wonder if Jemison suspected Beth was murdered because she "knew too much" about another murder or crime.